Friday, May 16, 2014

Introduction - What this is.


Last fall as part of  cafe allonge I started Making Memory Cloths, inviting others to join me in embroidering a memory while telling the story.  There was a wonderful response and many of the participants are continuing to meet with me at Lakeside Street Coffee House.  In this Blog we’ll put the resources, events and artists discussed at the weekly meetings.

The Memory Cloths I make always trigger the stories in the viewers. They start conversations that you don’t usually have with strangers.  At UW my job was serving the Wisconsin Idea, connecting the public with art.  Now I’m retired I see my purpose as connecting the public with art, only now I’m using my art to inspire others to find their own creativity and meaning in their life events.

A recent Salon.com article asked,  “How does art progress from irony and cynicism to something sincere and redeeming?”  I feel this work does that.

My Memory Cloths were inspired by an exhibit called Weavings of War. When I saw the Memory Cloths from South Africa, it was an A-HA moment.  They were brightly colored embroideries from the maker's memory with narrative paragraphs telling the story of the scenes depicted.  They were made to reclaim women’s experiences left out of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's official record of Apartheid. 

Since then I embroider my life on vintage textiles (mostly my Mother’s or Grandmother‘s) and write the story that goes with them. It’s become the way I process my life; joys, sorrows, discoveries,

As I worked I came to a forgiveness and peace inside myself.  I went to South Africa to ask if it worked that way there.  They said - of course – that was the plan.  They had been made in groups with talking, writing and sewing.  They were delighted that I had loved their process and said to share it with others. 

That’s what I’ve been doing.  And it’s been delightful!
I invite you to share this also.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading the stories that accompany the memory cloths. Sometimes they're everybody's story and sometimes nobody else's story but the authors. But we've all had the same familiar feelings or will eventually.

    ReplyDelete