Friday, August 27, 2021

Ann Engelman - How Great Thou Art

How Great Thou Art 

Embroidery on vintage linen

Ann Engelman

This hymn was a favorite of my grandmother, Reka Jeckel, Delevan, Illinois.

“How Great Thou Art” is a hymn based on a Swedish melody and a poem written by Carl Boberg in Sweden in 1885. The inspiration for the poem came when Boberg was walking home from church listening to church bells. A sudden storm got Boberg’s attention, and then just as suddenly as it had made its appearance, it subsided to a peaceful calm.

O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder 

Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have madeI see the stars, 

I hear the rolling thunder

Thy power throughout the universe displayed 

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee 

How great Thou art, how great Thou art

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee 

How great Thou art, how great Thou art.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment