Monday, October 27, 2014

Hanky Show - Joan Klaski


Joan Klaski

HOMAGE TO THE WORK BASKET EMBROIDERY BOOK

In 1957, when I was ten years-old, my mother gave me The Work Basket Embroidery Book.  This tiny how-to book includes 150 embroidery stitches illustrated by its author, Ruth Wyeth Spears.

Best of all, is my Mom’s inscription:

“To Joan from Mother, July 10, 1957
I hope you will gain all the knowledge you will ever need in this little book.”

This gift from my Mom is the inspiration for the embroidery on my hanky, so generously given to me by Bobbie Malone to contribute to our Circle’s hanky array.

I’m waiting for that nirvana moment when I know all the stitches in the book and have “all the knowledge I will ever need.”  Hasn’t happened yet, but what a life goal!

August 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment