Saturday, October 16, 2021

Karin Hanson -- The Coffee Earrings/Bits of "Momism" and Pieces of Her Jewelry


The Coffee Earrings/Bits of "Momism" 

and Pieces of Her Jewelry 


Karin Hanson 


Materials-cotton fabric, fusible web, batting, Perl cotton #8, Mom's earrings


In 1968, when I was a senior in college, I sang in the concert choir. We toured the Midwest during Easter vacation. While on tour, I bought my mother this pair of earrings. I was back home for Mother's Day and gave her my present at breakfast. 


True to her not-so-dainty style, she opened up the box directly over her coffee cup and the earrings plopped in!


Mom had her own language for things, so thereafter, when she spoke about them, the earrings were never "the earrings my daughter gave me" or "my flower earrings." She always called  them her "coffee earrings!"


You will see bits of Terry's flowers on the gift box, because she truly was a gift to all of us.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment