Saturday, October 16, 2021

Peggy Thornton -- something wonderful, I hope

something wonderful, I hope

Peggy Thornton

Materials: Printed and hand-dyed cotton, cotton threads, hand-dyed thread by Leslee Nelson, buttons

Our paths through life are unique, no two exactly the same.  Important people come onto our paths. We learn from them, grow with them, and share with them. When an individual contributes greatly to our learning, growth and joy, it is sad when their time of departure arrives. Terry Lichtenfelt was a person who shared much.  Her sense of adventure and generosity assured her the love and appreciation of those close to her.  She was on my life path for the last few years and I am truly enriched for her presence.

Terry had great expertise as an award-winning machine quilt artist. When the Memory Cloth Circle met weekly in person, Terry made hand-stitched small fabric collages and yo-yos which she generously gave away to all of us. I took bits and pieces from Terry to make this small inspirational quilt.  The central fabric with the “wonky” nuthatch going down the tree is a piece of fabric Terry gave me the last time I saw her.  It is typical of the whimsical animal prints that were so often a part of her work. I also incorporated a couple of Terry’s yo-yos and some of the buttons I got from her.

Terry’s quote, “something wonderful, I hope” was something she said years before cancer threatened her life about what happens when you die.  I think it says more about her attitude toward all of living.  Terry never backed away from trying new things or going new places, and she encouraged others to go, too.  She said  “yes” to life, experiencing all she could.  It is how she lived.  I have no doubt that living that way allowed her to experience many "something wonderfuls” throughout her journey. 

Terry has passed beyond the veil to her next great adventure, on to “something wonderful, I hope”.  The green and orange stitching on this work signifies the veil between this world and the next.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment